Saturday 4 May 2013

St John Omitted Down to Size...

At last, I have completed my analysis of the Gospels read (or to be more accurate,  not read) at Sunday Masses in the three year cycle of the New Lectionary.

I have to say that I was somewhat shocked as I went through the Lectionary looking at how St John's Gospel is treated.

I had assumed, I suppose, that because it was not one of the synoptics, and therefore had a higher proportion of unique material, that less of it would be cut omitted.  However, that was not what I found. 

I will now reflect on all the information I have collated, read Bugnini's account of the changes (which I have in full thanks to the  the Thirsty Gargoyle ) and will post my initial reflections over the next day or two.  I will be most interested in other peoples' views, too.


Here I list all the passages that are omitted (my friend the Gargoyle thinks the word cut is too prejudicial, so I bow to his judgement) from St John's Gospel.

Where they are not featured in another Gospel read during the three years, they are in bold.



Chapter 1 

43 ff Calling of Phillip, Nathaniel under the tree; you will see heaven laid open. (St Mark’s account of the calling of the 12 used: very different and omits Nathaniel etc) 


Chapter 2

12 Stayed with his mother and his brethren (Only in St John)



Chapter 3

1-13 Nicodemus (Only in St John)

22ff St John the Baptist He must increase and I must decrease (Only in St John)


Chapter 4

1-4 Disciples baptising more than John (Only in St John)

43ff Healing of the official’s son at Cana (Only in St John)


Chapter 5

1 - 18 Cure of the man by the Pool (Only in St John)

19 - 47 The Son and the Father; John the Baptist as witness; If you believed in Moses... (Only in St John)


Chapter 6

16-23 Walking on the water (St Matthew’s account used)

36 - 40 The will of the Father; whoever believes I will raise up on the last day (Only in St John)

59 He taught this doctrine at Capernaum, in the synagogue (Only in St John)

70 - 71 Yet one of you is a devil... (Only in St John)


Chapter 7

1-36 The feast of Tabernacles; Our Lord teaches in the temple; why do you want to kill me? There is one who sent me... where I am, you cannot come. (Only in St John)

40 - 53 Would the Christ be from Galilee; have any of the authorities believed? Nicodemus: we cannot pass judgement without a hearing. (Only in St John)


Chapter 8

12 ff The light of the world, the Father is my witness, I am not of this world, I preach what the Father has taught me, if you were Abraham’s children, the devil is your father... you are a Samaritan, and possessed, Abraham saw my day and rejoiced, Before Abraham was, I AM. (Only in St John) 


Chapter 10

19-26 He is possessed... If you are the Christ, tell us plainly... I have told you, but you do not believe. (Only in St John)

31 - 42 They fetched stones to stone him.... Is it not written: I said you are gods?  The Father is in me, and I am in the Father. John gave no signs, but all he said about this man was true. (Only in St John)


Chapter 11

46 The Jewish leaders plot: Caiaphas: it is better that one man die; a high priestly prophesy. (Only in St John)


Chapter 12

1-11 Anointing  by Mary (St Mark’s account used) 

17-19 The crowd bear witness to raising of Lazarus: the pharisees: ‘all the people are following him’ (Only in St John)

34 Walk in the light, Isaiah’s prophecy: he has blinded their eyes; whoever believe in me believes in the one who sent me  What the Father has told me is what I speak. (Only in St John)


Chapter 13

16 No servant is greater than his Master  (St Luke’s account used)

17 -30 Judas’ betrayal foretold (St Matthew’s account used) 

33b ...and as I told the Jews, where I am going, you cannot come.  (Only in St John)

36 - 38 Peter’s denial foretold. (St Matthew’s account used)


Chapter 14

13-14 Whatever you ask for in my name...(Only in St John)


22 Judas (not Iscariot): do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world? (Only in St John)


30 -31 The prince of this world is on his way... I am doing exactly what the Father told me. (Only in St John)


Chapter 15

18-25 ...if the world hates you... if they persecuted me, they will persecute you... still they hate both me and my Father...(Only in St John)

Chapter 16

1-11 They will expel you from the synagogues... because they have never known either the Father or myself...unless I go, the Advocate will not come to you... the prince of this world already condemned. (Only in St John)


17 - 33 What does he mean: you will no longer see me, then you will see me?... You are sad now... your hearts will be full of joy... Ask and you will receive... the Father loves you...Now you are speaking plainly... the time will come when you are scattered... be brave: I have conquered the world. (Only in St John)


Chapter 20

10-18 The appearance to Mary Magdalene (Also omitted from St Mark)



Chapter 21

20 Peter: What about him, Lord? ... the rumour that John would not die...  John testifies to the truth of his Gospel, and to the fact that Our Lord did much more than is recorded therein. (Only in St John)


1 comment:

Recusant said...

I have been finding this analysis very interesting, and a little bewildering. I find I am familiar with these cut passages and wonder where I have heard from, but then I remember that I attended daily mass every day for 3 years as well as having read the Gospels several times and now I can't remember where I heard what.