Sunday 13 May 2012

Fr Finigan interviewed

I have just made time to sit down with my new edition of Mass of Ages, the LMS magazine, and find a very interesting interview with Fr Tim Finigan, of the Hermeneutic of Continuity.

It is all worth reading, so if you're not a member already, join the LMS now, and ask for a copy!

I was particularly struck by this: following the unpleasantness in the parish which spilled over into the national Catholic press, Fr Finigan was asked by his archdiocesan superiors to undertake some research to identify trends and opinions about the Extraordinary Form of the Mass.
The insights were very revealing. Those strongly in favour of the EF were from mixed ages.  However, those who were strongly against it were markedly in an older age group, those who were young in the 1960s.   I don't agree with their opposition, but you get some understanding by reflecting on their reasons.  For they've invested so much in the reformed Church.  They were caught up in the 60s euphoria.
That resonates with my experience, too, and not least when it comes to priests (and, dare I say it, bisops).

It is understandable, it may be annoying, but it is also a passing phenomenon...

I also note that Fr Finigan explains that he can find the time to blog as he has no television.  So there's one thing we have in common.

No comments: